Reading this article will tell you exactly what actions you need to take to sharpen your customer service edge. As a Customer Loyalty Expert, Speaker, Trainer, Coach and Business Mentor I am often asked by people what are the top 5 actions to ensure delivery of customer service excellence.
Here are 5 great actions you can take this week:
- Review your service standards. What extra things can you put into your system to have your business stand out.
Remember the basics are the most important. Does every customer get a greeting with eye contact and a smile and a farewell in the same way.
N.B. If you don’t have any service standards we need to talk. Service standards should also include dress and grooming standards.
- Daily Set Ups. Meet with your team every day to set them up to deliver the best possible service.
Good questions to ask are: “What will you do to deliver great service today?”
Remember your questions should reflect your service standards.
The intention of this meeting is to ensure your team are fired up and ready to go, if not take an action to support them.
- Coach Coach Coach. Observe your team members to ensure they are doing their jobs, offer any improvements to behaviours that are not consistent to your service standards.
Remember to be specific, don’t generalise or make personal judgements.
What did they say or do that needed to improve then ask them how they could improve for next time.
- Catch them doing it right. Praise the behaviours that you want them to keep doing.
Remember ‘Praise is like champagne it should be served while still bubbling’.
The secret to any feedback is to be specific. Don’t just say that was ‘really good’, say exactly what was really good.
- Finish the day or individual shift with a debrief. How did it go? Ask what could we improve and what went really well.
Remember always finish on the positives.
Thank each person for their individual efforts.
Finally, if you want to create word of mouth you have to stand out, near enough is not good enough.
Most consumers in Australia are what we call Passives. They are customers who received what they expected but not enough to make you stand out. Unenthusiastic customers can easily be wooed by your competitors. They are at risk customers.
You want to cause Promoters. They are customers who promote you because they are completely satisfied with the experience they are receiving. Customers who are willing to put their reputation on the line to recommend you.
If you would like to have a chat with me about “How To Sharpen Your Customer Service Edge In 2023“ contact me I look forward to hearing from you.